Second Generation is pleased to announce
the first annual
2g Ten-Minute Play Contest.
The contest is designed to foster the work of new and emerging Asian-American playwrights. Finalists will have a public staged reading in NYC in Fall 2010 using a shared company of actors and directors (to be decided upon by the Second Generation producers), with rehearsals occuring a few days beforehand. In addition, up to three of the finalists will be comissioned by 2g to adapt their ten minute play into a full-length by a committee headed by Princess Grace Award-winning playwright A. Rey Pamatmat. Submissions are now being accepted and the final deadline for submissions is October 1st, 2010.
Original play submissions will be accepted from any Asian-American playwright who has not yet had a professional full-length production (workshops, readings, and showcases are fine; writers who have had an Off-Broadway, Broadway, or LORT level production are ineligible… sorry David Henry Hwang!). By submitting to the contest, you attest that the play is your own original work, that you own the full rights to the play, and that Second Generation is authorized to present the play as a staged reading if selected.
Heideman Award-winning playwright Michael Lew will adjudicate selections. Plays will be read anonymously by a cranky submission committee so please follow these instructions exactly.
1) You may only submit 1 play.
2) Your play must be in Word or PDF format and no longer than 10 minutes in length (approximately 10 pages in 12 point font using standard margins and play formatting).
3) Write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org In the body of the email, include your play title as well as your full contact information (phone number, address, and email address).
4) Attach an ANONYMOUS version of your play. Your name (or any identifying information) should not be contained anywhere in the play, the title page, or in the Word/PDF document name. The first page of your play should be a cover sheet with the play title only.
5) All finalists will be contacted by November 1, 2010. If you would like to know the status of your application (within reason), feel free to follow up with an email to email@example.com and we will respond to your query in a semi-timely fashion.
Best of luck!